Monday, August 2, 2010

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice




As many of you know, in February I gave birth to our first girl. What a change this brought to our lives. I no longer have to pass by the piles of pink and purple I see in the stores. Her nursery is the sweetest little sanctuary of femininity that you ever saw. Her wardrobe is stuffed full of cute little things to wear. These are the things I was most looking forward too when I found out that we were going to have a girl. However, the greatest joys I have experienced since we were blessed with our little angel can't be found in a clothes closet or at a store.

My boys absolutely adore her. I wish they would treat each other with the kindness and gentleness with which they treat their little sister. As I sit here and write this post Oscar is patiently putting her back on her blanket that she rolls off every five minutes. They argue about who holds her first, who sits next to her at dinner and who brings me a diaper for her. The smile that sneaks across her face every time she sees one of her brothers is priceless. They refuse to go to bed without receiving a sloppy baby kiss.

I love drinking in the sweet baby head smells when I "walk" her to sleep at night. No common rocking for her royal highness. As exhausted as I am by this nighttime ritual I know the day will come when I will miss it so much that my heart will ache.

Recently Paul took the boys on a Fathers and Sons campout. Sara and I had a great time "just us girls". I look forward to this special time every year. What will we do next year? Ten years from now? How do I make her feel special on our weekend?

Will I cry her first day of kindergarten? What will it be like shopping for a prom dress? What will it be like the day she marries? How will I feel the first time I hold her sweet little babies for the first time? I both look forward and dread these events. That will be my tommorow.

Today I will wipe the spit up off my shirt because I was too lazy to get a burp cloth. I will throw another load of laundry in the washer. I will change at least six diapers and probably an entire outfiit. In other words I will just enjoy another day of babyhood.

That is all for today. I need to grab the camera because I think she just fell asleep on the carpet while being snuggled by her big brother. That is a "today momement" I will treasure tommorow.

No comments:

Post a Comment