Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Why I love sports movies but not sports.

This week Paul is "attending" a night class via the miracle that is the Internet. While he is studying I am left as sole navigator of the remote control. To be honest, he usually let's me watch whatever I want most of the time. Due to the enormous change in time zone between the USA east coast and Continental Europe he has lost interest in watching all that is sports and usually just spends his time reading about them on the Internet.

He is however a bandwidth hog this week. Typically all the television I watch is on the sling box. The lack of Internet forces me to watch German TV, AFN, or DVDs. It must have been kismet or some lesser form of kismet that effects matters of no real significance. Due to my lack of bandwith I was able to add two new titles to my moving viewing repertoire. Both of these were in one my favorite genres, the Sports Movie.

I am not a sports nut. I am a somewhat faithful follower of the NCSU Wolfpack but those are pretty much the only games I watch. I could probably sit in a plane next to almost any NFL quarterback and not have a clue who he was. I don't play in fantasy leagues. I have not idea who is in contention for the Word Series. I don't know who played in or won the U.S. Open. I am however a huge sports movie junkie.There are so many fantastic sports movies. Hoosiers, Rudy, Miracle, and The Pride of The Yankees are just a few off the top of my head.

They all pretty much have the same theme; the players/team/coach have to cope with seemingly insurmountable obstacles to achieve their goal. There are always people who doubt them and try to deter them from their dreams. They always face a huge stumbling block just as they are about to achieve their goals. Of course they always achieve said goals or else they wouldn't make a movie about it. I love that these movies are true stories about real people. They are about people with self discipline and courage to go the extra mile. It may seem a little cheesy but these movies really do inspire me.

I don't have insurmountable obstacles standing in my way. My parents and now my husband stand behind me in whatever I do. I was raised in a nurturing environment and was given educational privileges that I probably took for granted. I have a husband who works hard for our family and loves me and our children. The only person holding me back is myself. I just need to decide what greatness I want to achieve and move forward with it.

By the way... the movies I watched this week were We Are Marshall and the Blind Side, both were great movies about two totally different obstacles. Definitely worth queuing up in Netflix. Be sure to find a box of tissues before you pop the popcorn.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Go for it! Decide what it is that you would most like to achieve and go for it.
    Actually, I think you have already hugely achieved - but if there is something more in the background of your mind - bring it out and let's see it!

    ReplyDelete